An air fryer is a countertop kitchen appliance that cooks by circulating hot air around the food using the convection mechanism. It is a very handy device as it cooks and bakes a variety of items very quickly and efficiently. It uses hot air to cook food, making it a better alternative to deep fryers.
An air fryer is very similar to an oven in its essence: it cooks and roasts food. However, it has a unique heating mechanism. An air fryer’s heating element is only present on the upper side of the machine and is accompanied by a large fan. This fan helps circulate the heat inside the fryer-styled basket so that the food is cooked evenly and thoroughly.
Normally, the size of an air fryer differs from 3.4 quarts to 6 quarts. The cost can run somewhere in the range of $70 and $300, contingent upon the model you purchase.
Types of air fryers
- Actifry: it was first released in France in 2006. It has dual abilities — hot air frying, plus “self-stirring” for wet dishes such as curries. Hence, it is sometimes referred to as a “multi-cooker.
- Basket-type air fryers: a hot air fryer is a dedicated air-frying machine in which the food is cooked in a basket. The basket usually has a handle to make it easy to flip the food multiple times while it’s cooking.
- Countertop convection ovens: These essentially consist of a bowl with a detachable lid on it. A halogen bulb or other type of heating element in the lid provides the heat. A convection fan will also be in the lid. Depending on the model, a countertop convection oven can be used to dehydrate, broil, roast, grill, bake, or steam. They can also be used for some hot air frying.
- Oil-free turkey fryers: These air fryers don’t use forced hot air, so aren’t hot air frying per se: instead, they use radiant heat — infrared heat –to do the cooking. However, most models are only suitable to use outdoors.
- Paddle-type air fryers: Actifry and paddle-type air fryers are very similar. They both have the ability to stir and turn over food on their own. This can be a very convenient tool because it will allow you to do other work while it’s cooking for you. Just like Actifry, this air fryer is also multi-purpose and gives you the option of making saucy dishes.
Deep frying VS air frying?
Deep frying is a method of cooking in which the food is submerged into hot oil and which yields food that has a crispy golden brown surface and a soft and juicy interior.
Deep frying uses significantly more oil than air frying which increases the calories of the food thereby making it unhealthier. In fact, one study revealed that air fried fries have up to 80% less fat in comparison to deep fried ones. Your food absorbs a lot of the oil when you deep fry, making it greasy and fattening. An air fryer permits you to cut calories and reduce cholesterol while providing you with delicious food. Other than this, the less consumption of oil will reduce costs, making an air fryer economical in the long run. (Although many people like to reuse the deep frying oil, it isn’t recommended by professionals and health experts.)
Air fryers are also digital which makes them easier to use as compared to a deep fryer. You can adjust the temperature of an air fryer according to your needs, before and after you put the food inside it. New air fryers also have developed features such as a timer and automatic shut-off, making it user friendly. It’s easy enough for a child to operate unlike deep fryers which come with safety risks such as burns and oil splashes.
An air fryer also gives you the option of cooking various foods inside it. With an air fryer you can not only heat and fry your food, but you can also grill and roast it. Deep frying has limited uses only and is therefore not as handy as an air fryer.
Furthermore, using air fryers can also be a time-saving solution. Air fryers are small hence it takes up less preheating time. They only take about 3 minutes to heat up, where as its counterpart, a deep fryer, takes up to 10 minutes. Many times people don’t even preheat air fryers at all; however, it is recommended.
The cleaning process of an air fryer is comparatively much easier and faster than deep fryers. Many times you spend hours scrubbing deep fryers and they still remain unclean and greasy. Air fryers are very easy to clean because its parts are dishwasher safe and nonstick, ergo they don’t create a huge mess on your hands.
Recipe for air fried corn dogs
- 6 bamboo sticks, soaked in water for 20 minutes
- A small piece of parchment paper
- 1 box of packaged corn bread mix
- 2/3 cup of milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp sugar
- 8 frankfurters
You can also use frozen corn dogs if you don’t want to go through the hassle of making them from scratch.
- To start off, cut the bamboos into 3 equal sized pieces.
- Cut a small piece of parchment paper to put into the air fryer basket. Make sure your piece isn’t too big otherwise it may leave certain parts of the corn dog raw because of the parchment paper cutting off the air circulation.
- In a bowl, whisk together corn bread mix, egg, sugar and milk. Pour the mixture into a talk glass once the ingredients are combined properly.
- Preheat you air fryer for 3 minutes at 390° F.
- Insert the skewers into the hot dog piece and dunk them into the glass, covering them in the mixture evenly. Place the sausage onto the parchment paper, alternating side the direction of the stick ends.
- Spray a little oil on your sausages.
- Let your corn dogs cook for 8 minutes or until it becomes brown.
- Eat and serve when warm.
- Can be served with mustard or other dipping sauces.
Nutritional value (per serving):
- 8 calories
- 4 g protein
- 7 g carbohydrates
- 3 mg cholesterol
- 2 mg sodium.
Recipe for honey mustard dipping sauce
- 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp prepared mustard
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 1/3 cups honey
Add all the ingredients into a bowl and stir until they’re combined smoothly. Serve immediately or prepare beforehand and refrigerate.
How to clean your air fryer
In contrast to your conventional deep fryer, an air fryer is moderately simpler to clean. With an air fryer you don’t have the issue of oily utensils and oil splatters on everything around it since the cooking is encased. The main thing you need to wash is the basket and the tray underneath it, the two of which can be placed into a dishwasher. Be that as it may, you should clean your air fryer every time you use it.
Steps to follow
- Unplug your air fryer from the socket and leave it aside to chill.
- Clean the outside of the apparatus utilizing a soft piece of fabric.
- Remove each of its parts and clean within with hot water and a fabric or wipe.
- Any food adhered to the warming component can be cleaned with a dry brush.
- Any removable parts of the air fryer (basket, tray and skillet) are dishwasher safe, so you can either decide to put them in the dishwasher or wash them by hand. Any oil can undoubtedly be removed by the help of dish-washing soap. In the event that any of the components remains greasy after all your efforts, you can put them in lukewarm water for about 60 minutes.
- Once all the component have been cleaned and dried and the air fryer has chilled off, store it in a dry place.
There are a wide variety of air fryers to choose from, make the right choice based on your requirements and budget. Our website is full of unique, healthy and delicious recipes for you and your family. Try experimenting with the various cuisines in our recipe collection, you might come across something you really enjoy.
Air fryers can be the kick-start to your healthier lifestyle as it uses minimal oil and is extremely fun and easy to use. Start incorporating it in your daily life, and when coupled with the right amount exercise, it will surely make a significant impact. A small change will make a big difference in the long run, with your brand new air fryer as the star of the show.
The best part about air fryers is that the children will absolutely love it! You can even involve them in the cooking process without worrying about the safety risk that usually comes with deep frying and grilling. It can be a bonding activity for the whole family!